Pages

Sunday, November 11, 2012

National Cycle F-16 Tour Shield Review

Notwithstanding the general guidelines on the National Cycle site, buying an untested fairing is always a risk.  For years I relied on Givi A750/60 fairings for their good looks and excellent wind protection.  But when I went to look for a faring for Janna's Bandit I discovered Givi had discontinued the A750 and all similar fairings for whatever reason.  The only universal fairings they still offered were the entirely clear plexiglass models.  Average-looking and not tested.

That left me with few options:  Rifle, Targa, and National Cycle.  The Rifle fairings looked blocky and low-tech, and were surprisingly expensive.  Targa didn't have a faring for the Bandit.  That left National Cycle.

I've never been a big fan of National Cycle fairings.  Stylistically they've always seemed to cater more to cruisers.  They even put chrome parts in their flyscreens.  While I'm happy to buy American not all of us like chrome.  Also, in my experience the mounting kits were both klunky-looking and difficult compared to Givi hardware.  After reluctantly going over the options for the Bandit on the National Cycle site I settled on the  F-16 Tour Shield, which was the least cruiser-ish and ugly of the options.

Overall I was impressed with the F-16's looks and the ease with which it mounts to the bike.  Unfortunately the wind protection leaves something to be desired and there is moderate helmet buffeting at speed.  I've rated the F-16 in four categories:  mounting, wind protection, appearance, and value.

Mounting: 4.5/5

The ease of install is on par with the Givi A750.  It is a 2-point headlight mount with some additional clips that grip the headlight holder, similar to the A750.  My only criticism was that one of the nuts provided with the hardware kit was stripped, so I had to go to the hardware store and find a replacement.

F-16 2-point mount
I added a foam shim on the Bandit's tach and speedometer covers to prevent the fairing from rattling at speed.  Since there is no handlebar support there is nothing to prevent the fairing from rattling against the instrument cluster at speed.  The Givi has this problem as well.

Foam shims
Wind protection: 2.5/5

In spite of the name "Tour Shield," this is really more of a sport or commute fairing.   The fairing height is short and the angle directs wind towards the rider's helmet unless you are tucked in behind it.

Note low F-16 screen height compared to FZ1 screen


Both my wife and I use tank bags so fully tucking in isn't possible.  My wife is about 5'4" and reported helmet buffeting at speed.  I am 5'8" and noticed same, although at about 70MPH it's not too bad if the cross winds are minimal.

Appearance: 4.5/5

This is a somewhat subjective rating but I found the F-16 to be a surprisingly good-looking fairing on the Bandit.   It is unobtrusive and sporty, and the light tint is a nice touch.  Although it is not a nice cafe-styled fairing like the A-750, I am fairly picky and the F-16 doesn't bother me at all.  Unfortunately neither of my photos do the fairing much justice.  The parking sticker on the front of the fairing distorts the photos a little.






Value: 4.5/5

At just under $100 before tax and shipping, this is one of the least expensive fairing options I found for the Bandit.  Considering the quality and appearance of the fairing I thought the price was reasonable.  The plexiglass is a good thickness and there were no blemishes, rough edges, or issues with the fit or finish.


Overall I found this to be a good fairing for short to moderate distances at law-abiding speeds.  The wind and rain protection are minimal so probably best to go with a larger fairing for touring.  A slightly taller version of this screen would be perfect for the Bandit.

No comments:

Post a Comment