Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Mid-week Wet Weather Maintenance

I have a 5-minute maintenance routine which I perform in the evenings if it rains:

1.) Spray a thin coat of WD-40 on the chain and wipe off (this may take more than a few minutes if you don't have a rear wheel stand or center stand). WD-40 will keep the chain from rusting. However it will fling and smell like cat pee when it's hot so it's important to wipe most of it off.

At the end of a rainy week I scrub the chain thoroughly with kerosene and re-lube it.



There is some controversy about using WD-40 on o-ring chains. While I can't guarantee that WD-40 isn't harmful to o-rings, I've been using it for wet-weather maintenance for thousands of miles with no observable damage so far. I replaced my last chain with 20k miles on it and it was still in decent shape. I gave the used chain to a coworker who plans to put it on his GSX-R1000 and run it at triple digits.

2.) Wipe the fork sliders with a clean soft cloth and mild soapy water, rinse and dry. This will help keep dirt out of the fork seals so they last longer.



3.) A conscientious person with a new bike would also probably want to clean off the exhaust pipe and headers to prevent stains and discoloration from baked-on road grime. The Bandit's header pipes are already spotted so I don't worry about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment