Pages

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Yamaha FZ1 - Best Used Bike



I was really happy to see that Cycle World chose the 1st gen FZ1 for their "Best Used Bikes" column. My other bike is a 2003 FZ1, and I have to say Yamaha really outdid themselves when they made this bike. Along with the Bandit the 1st gen FZ1 is the last of the steel-frame UJMs and the ultimate in terms of price/performance. It has a comfortable upright seating position like the Bandit, a real R1 racing engine and components, large gas tank, and easy-to-read analog dashboard. It has the humble Bandit beat in power and braking departments, gets better mileage, and is a much smoother ride. My only quibbles are with the size and ergonomics. The FZ1 feels like a big bike compared to the Bandit even though it's lighter. It's longer, the seat is narrower and less comfortable, and the footpegs are higher so my legs are bent in a less comfortable position for long distances. Oddly I feel more cramped on the FZ1 even though it rides like a bigger bike. It's a bit harder to squeeze into tight parking spaces than the Bandit because of the wheelbase. This has not stopped me from putting in 600 mile days on the FZ1. It's a joy to ride and I can't say enough good things about it. Hit the throttle and it goes exactly where you want it to go, quietly and effortlessly. Whenever I see an '05 up for sale I'm tempted to buy it just to have a spare, so I'll never be without one. In my opinion it's one of the best kept secrets in motorcycling.

No comments:

Post a Comment