Pages

Monday, July 5, 2010

Alaska: Day Eleven

Whitehorse, YT

06/22/2010

We decided to spend a rest day in Whitehorse.

My first order of business was to exchange more cash, but the bank was closed for another half hour. I decided to try an ATM. To my surprise when I withdrew $60 Canadian my receipt said I'd only withdrawn $58.50. Nothing like finding a free $1.50. When I got home I noticed I'd been charged a $5.00 out-of-network ATM fee and another 0.59 for something. Oh well.

Next to the Baked Cafe for coffee.



On the way to coffee we saw the same 3 BMW guys we met in Tok, who were setting out for Watson Lake. They'd stayed at the Robert Service Campground and said it was crowded. We had also noticed that everything in Whitehorse was booked solid for a week around Solstice. Anyway... they took off and unfortunately we didn't see them again for the rest of the trip.

Next rode around looking for the Mighty Wash to try to get some of the calcium chloride off of the bikes. There were lines so we had to rush. Finding the car wash and trying to clean the bikes burned a lot of time and the bikes didn't look much better for it.

Took the historic waterfront trolley which looked promising but became overcrowded with a busload of retired people and was ultimately disappointing.



Yukon River near train station



Noted that there were bicycles and bicycle racks all over Whitehorse.



Had lunch at the Klondike Rib & Salmon place, which was pretty good.

And so went the rest day. Had I not been insistent on trying to clean up the bikes we could've spent the day doing more touristy things, but I really wanted that calcium chloride stuff off.

No comments:

Post a Comment